Finding recipes can sometimes be harder than it sounds. There are hundreds of recipes scattered across the internet, but not all of them are as easy or healthy as they’re made out to be. With the help of our Director of Nutrition Initiatives, Amanda Feighner, who’s a Registered Dietician Nutritionist, we’ve put together a few recipes that provide a refreshing and healthy snack or a side to your meal.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 2 5-oz containers of baby spinach
- 1 lb. of strawberries, halved or sliced
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ cups of chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. of honey
- 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of poppy seeds
- 2 tsp. of Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. of salt
- ¼ tsp. of ground black pepper
- For the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar. Seal the jar and shake vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- For the salad: Just before serving, add the spinach to a large bowl or platter. Top with half of the strawberries and orange slices. Drizzle with half the dressing and gently toss to coat. Top the salad with the remaining berries, orange slices, pecans, and goat cheese. Drizzle with your desired amount of the remaining dressing, and serve the remainder on the side, if you’d like.
Prep time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Fresh Corn Salad
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 3 cups corn kernels (about 4 cobs of corn)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup cucumbers diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- A sprinkle of course salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley
- Fresh basil or dill chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add corn and cook for 3-4 mins or until corn turns bright yellow.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn kernels, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion.
- Drizzle the olive oil and apple cider vinegar over the salad.
- Season generously with salt and pepper to taste and toss well to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs.